So Christmas is literally just 3 days away. If you’ve only just got round to thinking about it and you need to make your home feel festive take a leaf out of Abigail Ahern’s book. Abigail Ahern is considered one of the UK’s hippest interior designers with her best selling book “A girls guide to decorating”, showcasing her dark and seductive interior style. A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to attended Abigail’s Christmas masterclass at her home in Hackney.
What a day it was - a small but dedicated group (most followers of her blog or facebook page) gathered in Abigail’s open plan basement and over very good coffee (brewed by her DH Graham) we were given a whistle stop tour of the key elements in her signature style. If you’ve got the nerve Abigail’s style is one easily created on any budget, including the shoestring kind.
After lunch we moved on to the detail of Christmas styling (her dogs Mungo and Maud keen to show us how to make it work too) and how to make your house intoxicating to guests over the festive season and particularly if you are entertaining. The masterclass covered so many great tricks and Abigail was very forthcoming with her insider tips. So, to keep your head, follow these easy to access ideas:
- Keep your guest guessing with your inventive napkin rings by using your own costume jewellery – every place setting different
- Fairy lights can add instant appeal draped over mirrors or mantles or even on tables – use the warm white kind not the cool blue horrors
- Supersize your Christmas baubles – display them on tables, on the floor in a group and generally with an unconventional attitude (see above image)
- Pile up a side table or even a centerpiece (if you don’t want to talk to your relatives) with berries and green foliage, which looks stunning and is relatively cheap
- Keep the palette dark and sultry but bring a smile to your guest lips by adding glitter – who doesn’t love it? Add it to floral arrangements, a very unexpected twist
- Use tealight holders and eggcups instead of vases
- Play with textures and scale but also smell – eucalyptus leaves and fresh pine instantly scream winter
Following Abigail’s tricks will lead you to create a seductively stylish space for your Christmas guests.
Abigail Ahern’s Christmas Masterclasses are now finished for 2011, however for more information and to book a place (they book out fast) contact +44 207 354 8181 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Image source; mary middleton design and Atelier Abigail Ahern