The hallway is the first thing a guest sees when entering your home; decorating the hallway allows your home the chance to make a big first impression.
Like in any small space remember to use every square inch.
Here are five tips to help you:
- Colour - Carry the paint colour from an adjacent room into the hallway albeit if your hall is visible from several rooms then choose a more neutral wall colour.
- Artwork - If you have an open space define the hallway by making a powerful statement with artwork by turning your hallway into an art gallery.
- Lighting - Add a dimmer to set the tone of your hall. Incorporate recessed lighting to highlight a specific feature in your hallway while adding safety and always remember to layer your lighting.
- Furniture - A console table is a useful piece which will serve as an area to place keys, mail, accessories and light fixtures. A narrow bench provides a place to take off your shoes.
- Accessorize - Bring in an umbrella stand or coat rack. Hang a mirror to add a special decorative touch.
- Flooring - Delineate your hallway by having different flooring, i.e. hardwood, tile or laminate. Take the traffic patterns of your hall into account when choosing a durable surface that will work with yours and your family lifestyle.
So whether you have a grand hall or a narrow corridor you can make the entrance to your home inviting.