For all those of us who cannot get through the day without a chocolate fix!
160g plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder
300g dark chocolate, chopped
225g unsalted butter, cubed
1 tsp instant espresso coffee
300g granulated sugar
100g light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180C / fan 160C degrees
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt and cocoa powder.
- Melt the chocolate, butter and instant espresso coffee in a non-stick pan. Turn off the heat and mix in the sugars. Mix until completely combined, then remove and leave it to cool down.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk it again. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not over beat the batter at this stage or the brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. With a rubber spatula (not a whisk), carefully fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
- Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the baking tin using the parchment paper.
From the March 2014 issue of Heart Home magazine.
Recipe and photographs: Giedre Augustinaviciute