If you are suffering withdrawal from your weekly dose of Bake Off, why not get busy and bake yourself something brilliant.
Serves 6. Preparation time 25 minutes. Cooking time 45 minutes.
115g castor sugar
110g plain four
25g butter, melted
For the filling:
115g plain chocolate
150ml strong black coffee
100ml coffee liqueur
300ml double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
50g castor sugar
3 x 250g cartons of mascarpone cheese
chocolate shavings or grated chocolate to decorate
cocoa powder for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and base line a 22cm spring-form cake tin.
2. Fit the whisk onto the Kenwood Chef and place the eggs and the sugar in the bowl. Whisk until pale, thick and creamy. The mixture should be thick enough to hold a trail when the whisk is pulled out.
3. Sieve the flour and the corn flour together and lightly fold-in half using a metal spoon. Fold in half the melted butter, then repeat with the remaining flour and butter.
4. Pour the mix into the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Turn out and leave to cool overnight.
5. Grate the plain chocolate. Mix the coffee and liqueur together and cut the cake into three layers.
6. Line the base and sides of the cake tin. Place one sponge layer on the base and sprinkle over a third of the coffee liqueur mix
7. Using the whisk, whip the cream, vanilla and sugar together until it forms soft peaks. Fold into cheese. Reserve 60ml of the mixture.
8. Spread a third of the mix over the sponge and sprinkle over half the chocolate. Top with another layer of sponge and drizzle over half of the remaining coffee liqueur mix.
9. Top with half the remaining cheese mixture and all the chocolate. Finally, top with the last sponge and press down lightly. Finish with a final layer of cheese mixture and chill for 2 hours.
10. Release from the tin and place on a serving plate. Spread the reserved cheese mixture around the edges and sprinkle with chocolate.
This recipe is courtesy of Kenwood. The Chef Sense comes equipped with an array of attachments including a dough hook, balloon whisk and k-beater, to help you achieve perfect bakes every time. Available from John Lewis, £449.99. For information on more stockists, visit www.kenwoodworld.com/uk