Browsing Pinterest or Instagram we might all be mistaken into thinking that keeping houseplants green and healthy is a piece of cake. We know from personal experience it's not. But it doesn't stop us from trying to replicate those gorgeous urban jungles. So, just in case you've had your fair share of fatalities (we know we have) Dobbies Garden Centres is on hand with expert tips for the ultimate houseplant haven.
- Thirsty work…The common problem we find where people can go wrong is either under or over-watering. The type of plant you choose will effect how much water is needed. As a general rule for common houseplants compost should be kept moist but not wet, but specialist plants like orchids, succulents and cacti will need completely different conditions. It is always recommended to check plant labels and we also have lots of tips online and how to guides.
- In the shade…Ideally they should be kept out of direct light. If you find that your indoor greens are still wilting even with regular watering, try rotating them every few days to avoid damage. Too little light will also stunt growth and damage plant health, so before choosing do some research into the different varieties available and how suitable they are for each room.
- Style Match…Houseplants can have a huge impact on the overall styling of a room, from industrial modern cactus to leafy and luxurious ferns. The Boston Fern (Nephrolepsis) is a firm favourite and is really versatile as will look great in both a traditional and modern setting, plus it is the easiest of all the ferns to grow. A large bathroom with a window is ideal, as it offers higher humidity levels.
- Recue remedy…To quickly revive a wilting plant that has been undernourished – often the case when returning from long holidays – place into a bucket of water or utility sink so that it is completely submerged. Allow to rest in the water for 30 minutes and then drain for another 30 minutes. Over-watered plants are usually droopy, if that is the case you are best to check the roots, drain and re-pot.
- Natural health boost…Breathing life into your home, houseplants also have amazing health benefits. They have been shown to reduce cold related illnesses by more than 30% to their effect on increasing humidity levels and decreasing dust. Whilst adding an air of natural zen, they also reduce stress by contributing to lower blood pressure, prevent allergies, stop headaches, help sleep and more!
For more top tips, advice, how to’s and more visit www.dobbies.com.