Our latest healthy recipe from Mindful Chef is packed full of flavour. Fragrant chicken thigh skewers marinaded in fresh lemongrass and ginger, on a bed of vegetable noodles and drizzled in a peanut lime sauce. Peanuts are loaded with dietary fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals so you know it's good for you too.
Mindful Chef is a food-box company with over 500,000 health-focused recipes.They believe in reducing your intake of sugar and refined carbs. As a result, they never deliver pasta, bread or white rice - instead all the recipes are based on innovative uses of fresh vegetables.
Deliveries are made Sunday and Monday each week and you can choose up to 5 recipes from the ever changing and imaginative menu. The recipes are all available online.
Ingredients: (all delivered by Mindful Chef)
- 1/2 fresh lemongrass stalk
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lime
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 200g carrot
- 2cm fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp peanut paste
- 2 x 150g free-range chicken thighs
- 80g buckwheat noodles
- 8 skewers
1. Remove the outer layer of the lemongrass and peel and finely chop or grate the ginger. Slice the chicken thighs in half lengthways into two long strips. Place the lemongrass and ginger in a bowl with half of the tamari and 1/2 tbsp oil, and place the chicken in the sauce to marinate until needed.
2. To make the vegetable noodles; peel the carrots and trim the ends of the carrots and cucumber. Using a peeler, thinly slice the carrots and cucumber into long thin strips. Thinly slice half of the red chilli (remove the seeds for less heat) and finely chop the remaining half.
3. To make the peanut sauce; mix the peanut paste with 1-2 tbsp cold water and the remaining tamari to make a smooth sauce. Add the finely chopped chilli.
4. Thread each slice of chicken onto a skewer lengthways, weaving in and out of the skewer. Heat a griddle pan (or frying pan) with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the chicken skewers for 10-15 mins, turning occasionally, until cooked through and golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, boil a kettle. Pour 500ml boiling water into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then add the buckwheat noodles with a pinch of sea salt and simmer for 5 mins (stir often to prevent sticking). Once cooked, rinse briefly in cold water.
6. In a large bowl, place the vegetable noodles and the buckwheat noodles with the juice from half of the lime and half of the peanut sauce. Stir well to combine.
7. Place the buckwheat noodles, cucumber and carrot in two bowls and top with the chicken skewers. Sprinkle over the sliced chilli and drizzle over the remaining peanut sauce. Serve with the remaining half lime, cut into wedges.
Read more at Mindful Chef.
This post contains an affiliate link