Wall lights are an often over looked lighting source. I think this is often due to the fact that retro fitting them can mean a little more work than say changing a pendant. The results can be dramatic and also help with lighting ambience. I think like marmite you either love them or hate them. Wall lights can create general ambient light in a room or interesting lighting effects dependant on the fixture. If the room is really large the light source will need to be supplemented. Generally though they are a decorative feature and can help to balance features in a room if placed appropriately.
There is a vast array of choice on offer from classic, traditional or contemporary design. Plus some styles are more suited to specific rooms. I personally like wall lights instead of bedside lamps but equally I like pendants bedside a bed – anything to keep a bedside table free for essentials.
1) Lean Wall Light in White by Swedish company Örsjö. This lamp creates a lovely lighting effect on the wall as the shade has slots in it. It also doesn’t need to be hard wired into the wall as it comes with a 2.5m textile cord.
2) The up and down wall washer that is Foglio by Flos is available through SCP. It has a contemporary decorative scroll shape and it comes in three finishes - black, white or nickel-plated.
3) The Peggy Wall Lamp from Holloways of Ludlow has a lovely retro feel. It’s made of antique brass with a matt finish and its conical shade comes in black or white.
4) Foscarini’s Caboche wall light available from nest comes in two sizes. Even when turned off the transparent spheres glitter it also comes in a gold/amber version. It's also got serious designer credentials having been designed by award winning Patricia Urquiola
5) The elegant Nicolas wall light by Porta Romana brings a classical element to an interior. Works particularly well in pairs either side of artwork for example.
6) Ochre’s light drizzle wall light with glass drops looks stunning in the bedroom but would work equally well elsewhere.
7) The wall light version of Tolomeo Mega by Artemide makes a real impact in a room due to its oversized dimensions. Great for large open plan spaces.
8) Probably not ideal for bedrooms, but this entertaining Hungry wall light by Fabbian from Holloways of Ludlow makes a fantastic addition to kitchens or dining rooms.