Our latest healthy recipe from Mindful Chef is sure to be a firm family favourite. And even better it's packed with protein and loaded with flavour from the garam masala and smoked trout, an excellent source of potassium, B12 and iron.
Mindful Chef is a food-box company with over 500,000 health-focused recipes.They believe in reducing your intake of sugar and refined carbs. As a result, they never deliver pasta, bread or white rice - instead all the recipes are based on innovative uses of fresh vegetables.
Deliveries are made Sunday and Monday each week and you can choose up to 5 recipes from the ever changing and imaginative menu. The recipes are all available online.
Ingredients: (all delivered by Mindful Chef)
- 100g red quinoa
- 180g purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 leek
- 1 lemon
- 1 red pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 x 150g hot smoked trout fillet (skin off)
- Large handful of flat-leaf parsley
1. Finely slice the leek and thinly slice the red pepper. Roughly chop the parsley, trim the broccoli and cut in half lengthways and in half widthways.
2. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat, add the red pepper and broccoli for 3 mins. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil, then add the leek and cook for 3 mins.
3. Boil a kettle. Rinse the quinoa and add to the leek pan with the garam masala. Stir for 2 mins, making sure the grains are coated with oil.
4. Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in a jug with 400ml boiling water. Add the stock to the pan and simmer on a gentle heat. It should take 15 mins for the quinoa to cook and the stock to be fully absorbed.
5. Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with boiling water, place the eggs into the water and simmer for 6-8 mins. Once the eggs are cooked run under cold water for 1 min and peel. Cut into quarters.
6. Break up the trout into bite-sized pieces and add to the quinoa pan along with the red pepper, broccoli, lemon juice and parsley. Cook for 3 mins until the trout is heated through.
7. Spoon the smoked trout kedgeree into two warm bowls and top with the egg quarters.
Read more at Mindful Chef
This post contains an affiliate link