HOUSE OF PLANTS is a practical and beautiful guide to how to love and care for your indoor tropical plants, succulents, cacti and air plants. These houseplants are handsome, hardy and perfect for urban living where outside space is often limited or non-existent. This book is a comprehensive and straightforward companion, showing both the aspiring and experienced plant enthusiast how to nurture, share and enjoy these wonderful plants, as well as how to stylishly arrange them in the home, identifying the perfect plant for the perfect spot.
Caro and Rose, two young designers and experienced indoor plant stylists, share their passion and knowledge in the pages of this stunning book. They write:
‘To watch another living thing flourish is rewarding, and we have come to see many of our plants as prickly pets, each with their own distinct personality. One miniature succulent might show its bulbous leaves suggestively at the slightest nudge, while another will sit for years inspiring cool suspense before one day bursting into bloom, making you drop your toast in delight and alarm. It is this unique charm that makes plants a pleasure to live with, but knowing how best to tend each one can be a little daunting.’
This book covers:
• How to look after individual plants, running through the soil, watering, light, food, pruning and cleaning for many popular species such as the Monstera, Fiddle Leaf Fig and Echeveria as well as some of the more unusual species including Fishbone Cactus, Xerographica and Monkey’s Tail.
• How to take cuttings to share with friends.
• Inspiring creative projects including planting up a terrarium, making a macramé hanging planter and homemade concrete pots, as well as compost and fertiliser recipes.
• How to care for ailing plants.
• What to do with your plants when you go away on holiday.
• The best indoor plants for children and those with limited time and funds.
HOUSE OF PLANTS is the ideal book for every green-loving urbanite with little or no outside space. It will not only change the way you think about succulents, cacti and air plants but also the way you live, inspiring you to incorporate these remarkable ‘prickly pets’ into your life.
House of Plants by Caro Langton & Rose Ray, photography by Erika Raxworthy, is published by Frances Lincoln (£20).