Time and time again we come back to the tried and tested favourites. Only this classic Bakewell Tart has a secret ingredient - rhubarb and custard jam! Which means a whole new taste to add to our teatime treats.
3 tbs Duerr’s Rhubarb and Custard Homebaking Jam
150g unsalted butter
150 g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 egg yolk
150g ground almonds
1 lemon, zested
1 tbs flaked almonds
1) Preheat the oven to 160˚C fan, 180˚C conventional, gas mark 4.
2) Make the pastry, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
3) Roll the pastry out to 3mm thickness and line a 3.5 cm deep, fluted tin.
4) Bake blind for 15 minutes, brush with egg white, cook for a further 2 minutes and set aside to cool.
5) Cream the butter and sugar, gradually add the eggs and yolk then stir in the ground almonds and lemon zest.
6) Spread the jam over the cooled pastry base, then spoon the almond mixture on top, smoothing it and leveling the top. Scatter with the flaked almonds and cover loosely with foil.
7) Bake for 25 minutes at 170˚C. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes.
Recipe is courtesy of Duerr's homebaking jam, which is the first jam created specifically for homebaking in the UK. Available at Aldi.