Our latest healthy recipe from Mindful Chef is a variation on a National favourite dish. Chicken thighs are marinated in coconut yoghurt and a blend of Tandoori spices including paprika, turmeric, ground ginger, ground coriander and ground cumin. The red cabbage & apple slaw make a refreshing side, and are packed with vitamin C for strengthening the immune system.
Mindful Chef is a food-box company with over 500,000 health-focused recipes.They believe in reducing your intake of sugar and refined carbs. As a result, they never deliver pasta, bread or white rice - instead all the recipes are based on innovative uses of fresh vegetables.
Deliveries are made Sunday and Monday each week and you can choose up to 5 recipes from the ever changing and imaginative menu. The recipes are all available online.
Ingredients: (all delivered by Mindful Chef)
- 120ml coconut yoghurt
- 150g red cabbage
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Mindful Chef Tandoori spice blend
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 x 150g free-range chicken thighs
- 80g brown rice
- 80g spinach
- Large handful of fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins. In the last 2 mins of cooking, stir through the spinach until wilted, then drain.
3. Peel and grate or finely chop the garlic. In a bowl, mix half of the coconut yoghurt with the tandoori spices, garlic, 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of sea salt. Place the chicken thighs in the bowl and stir to coat. Place the chicken on a baking tray or in an ovenproof dish in the oven for 20-25 mins until cooked through and turning golden.
4. Meanwhile, make the slaw; very finely slice the red cabbage, removing the thick stalk and thinly slice the coriander leaves. Grate the apple with the skin on, removing the core.
5. Into a bowl, put the red cabbage, apple and coriander. Add half of the juice from the lemon and the remaining coconut yoghurt. Stir to combine and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Place the tandoori chicken thighs on two warm plates, alongside the spinach brown rice and the red cabbage and apple slaw. Drizzle over the remaining lemon juice to taste.
Read more at Mindful Chef.
This post contains an affiliate link